[IDD #GVO-308276]: Feed requests for WMO, HDS and NGRID

Hi,

re:
> I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this request, but I have a
> server in Google Cloud Platform (GCP) that needs to pull data from the
> WMO, HDS, and NGRID feeds. I think I have the REQUEST entries correct in
> my ldmd.conf file, but I'm not sure if these are the correct servers to
> pull this data from:
>
> REQUEST    WMO ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> REQUEST    WMO ".*" idd.ssec.wisc.edu
> REQUEST    HDS ".*" adde.ssec.wisc.edu
> REQUEST    HDS ".*" adde.ucar.edu
> REQUEST    NGRID ".*" adde.ssec.wisc.edu
> REQUEST    NGRID ".*" adde.ucar.edu

Quick comments:

- adde.ssec.wisc.edu is another name (alias) for idd.ssec.wisc.edu

- adde.ucar.edu is not setup to feed IDD data to downstream sites via
  the LDM

- the compound feed type WMO is the combination of HDS and IDS|DDPLUS

  WMO == HDS|IDS|DDPLUS

- the following would provide better redundant feed REQUESTs:

REQUEST    WMO ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST    WMO ".*" iddb.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST    NGRID ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST    NGRID ".*" iddb.unidata.ucar.edu

- depending on the network bandwidth to the GCP VM, you might simply
  combine your feed REQUESTs:

REQUEST    NGRID|WMO ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST    NGRID|WMO ".*" iddb.unidata.ucar.edu

- lastly, and most importantly, the upstream machines that you REQUEST
  feeds from need to have ALLOW entries that allow your machine to
  REQUEST feeds

  If your machine is accessible using a '.edu' name, and if there is
  reverse DNS so that the machine's IP address would resolve to that
  '.edu' name, your feed REQUESTs would already be honored by both
  idd.unidata.ucar.edu, idd.ssec.wisc.edu and iddb.unidata.ucar.edu.
  Because your feed REQUESTs are not working, it is most likely the
  case  that your machine is not known by a '.edu' name.

re:
> All four of these servers are currently refusing to feed me the data,
> probably from missing ALLOW entries. I have been unable to locate POC
> information for any of the sites. Can you point towards the right folks?

We, Unidata Program Center, operate idd.unidata.ucar.edu, iddb.unidata.ucar.edu
and idd.ssec.wisc.edu, so you have contacted the correct group.

re:
> I really appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you,

Questions:

- can you get DNS setup so that your machine's name is <something>.ncsu.edu?

- if you can not get DNS setup as laid out above, please provide us with
  your machine's fully qualified name and IP address.

Ticket ID: GVO-308276
Department: Support IDD