[IDD #FEH-410475]: Question about GOES 17 data availability via LDM

Hi Steven, Ryan and Tiziana,

First, I drove Mohan's forward of your email into the Unidata inquiry
tracking system so that more than one Unidata staff member can chime
in with information if/when appropriate.

re:
> Can you tell us the status of getting GOES 17 data via the LDM?  If I
> am not mistaken, the research/bug phase is done.  Yet, we don’t seem
> to find the data as an option on the LDM.

We have been distributing GOES-17 GRB imagery and products since GOES-17
passed the provisional testing phase.  The same is true for GOES-16.

GOES-17 (GOES-West) imagery and products are available along with GOES-16
imagery and products in two different forms in two different IDD datastreams:

SATELLITE - ABI L1b imagery, and earth, space and geostationary lightning
products
            from our GOES ReBroadcast (GRB) downlink
NIMAGE    - ABI L2 imagery and L2 products (when available) that are distributed
            in NOAAPort

NB:

- the SATELLITE feed was named DIFAX in pre-v6.11.6 versions of the LDM

- there are no GOES-17 L2 products in NOAAPort yet

  I think the Weather Service is trying to "solve" (workaround) the IR
  detector cooling issue that is plaguing GOES-17 before starting to distribute
  L2 products that are based, in part, on multiple IR channels.

The real-time stats for SATELLITE (aka DIFAX) and NIMAGE from one
of the server machines we operate is a good place to look to get an
idea of the volumes of these feeds:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?atm.ucar.edu

SATELLITE volume:
http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?SATELLITE+atm.ucar.edu

NIMAGE volume:
http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NIMAGE+atm.ucar.edu

A quick check of UHawaii machines reporting real-time LDM/IDD statistics
shows that none of the machines is REQUESTing either of the IDD feeds
in which we are distributing GOES-17 data.  Since I think the machine
uila.soest.hawaii.edu is yours, this page shows which feeds are being
REQUESTed:

http://rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex?uila.soest.hawaii.edu

The following pages give examples of the satellite products available
in the SATELLITE (aka DIFAX) and NIMAGE feeds, respectively:

Unidata HomePage
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu

  Data -> Satellite data
  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/index.html#satellite

  SATELLITE (FT16, DIFAX)
  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/goesr.html

  NIMAGE (FT21, IMAGE)
  https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/data/nimage.html

In addition to making the imagery available in LDM/IDD feeds, we
provide remote access by the three remote server technologies
that we operate on behalf of the community:

THREDDS Data Server (TDS)
https://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/catalog.html
http://thredds.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog.html

McIDAS ADDE
lead.unidata.ucar.edu - dataset groups RTGOESR, RTGOESS, NPGOESR, NPGOESS
atm.ucar.edu          - dataset groups RTGOESR, RTGOESS, NPGOESR, NPGOESS

AWIPS EDEX
edex-cloud.unidata.ucar.edu

The easiest way to become familiar with the LDM/IDD Product IDs for
IDD feeds is to use the LDM utility 'notifyme'.  Here are examples
for both the SATELLITE (aka DIFAX) and NIMAGE feeds:

<as 'ldm'>

SATELLITE (if you are running an older version of the LDM, replace SATELLITE
with DIFAX(
notifyme -vl- -f SATELLITE -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu

NIMAGE
notifyme -vl- -f NIMAGE -h idd.unidata.ucar.edu

re:
> Thanks for your help.

No worries.

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Ticket ID: FEH-410475
Department: Support IDD