[IDD #OSS-839566]: IP address change for idd.unidata.ucar.edu

Hi Mike,

re:
> Thanks for checking up on me.  Our firewall folks were able to put a rule
> in for the new address, although I'm not sure we needed it.

Very good!

re:
> In any case,
> we're are looking good here.  I restarted LDM and data is flowing fine.
> Just FYI on how this resolves from the inside here...the forward lookup
> goes to the IP as expected, but the reverse goes to "iddc", but that's
> probably expected too.
>
> [ldm@titan ~]$ nslookup idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> Server:         10.10.90.50
> Address:        10.10.90.50#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name:   idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> Address: 128.117.140.3
>
> [ldm@titan ~]$ nslookup 128.117.140.3
> Server:         10.10.90.50
> Address:        10.10.90.50#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> 3.140.117.128.in-addr.arpa      name = iddc.unidata.ucar.edu.

Actually, the IP address for the new cluster should be:

128.117.135.3

128.117.140.3 is the IP address for the old cluster (which continues
to run, of course).

Please rerun 'nslookup idd.unidata.ucar.edu' again, and if the address
returned is 128.117.135.3, restart your LDM:

ldmadmin restart

DNS propagation is a funny thing - it can happen very fast, or it can,
in some circumstances take quite awhile.  The latter is typically when
there are caching name servers locally.

> address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > re:
> > > Yes, Tom, very helpful background info.
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > No worries.
> >
> > One other comment that I should have made clear before:
> >
> > Anyone using idd.unidata.ucar.edu as the upstream host in their
> > LDM configuration file REQUEST(s) can change their REQUEST(s)
> > to use the IP address 128.117.140.3 instead of the name as
> > this will eliminate the need for the local LDM to do a
> > name->IP lookup.
> >
> > NB: Any modification in the LDM configuration file requires a stop
> > and restart of the LDM for the change to take effect.
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Tom

Ticket ID: OSS-839566
Department: Support IDD