[IDD #MGW-198908]: Unidata LDM feed for GOES-17 data

Hi Carl,

re:
> I am with the University of Alaska Fairbanks at the Geographic Information
> Network of Alaska (GINA).

I remember that we've had at least one other exchange in the past...

re:
> In a previous inquiry about unidata feeds I
> mentioned that we are a polar satellite Direct Broadcast facility, using
> LDM heavily to distribute satellite products from our office to
> the National Weather Service.

Yes, I recall.  Out of curiosity, what format(s) are POES data that
you are relaying?

re:
> I'm curious if there is a Unidata feed for GOES-17 data?

We have one an internal one that is setup in the same way that our
IDD feed for GOES-16 data is - all products in the netCDF4 format
produced by CSPP GEO.  We have been waiting to add the GOES-17 data
to the IDD until NOAA stopped including the admonition that the
data is not operational to every email they send.  Here is the
boilerplate that I am referring to:

"NOAA's GOES-17 satellite has not been declared operational and its data are
preliminary and undergoing testing. Users receiving these data through any
dissemination means  (including, but not limited to, PDA and GRB) assume
all risk related to their use of GOES-17 data and NOAA disclaims any and
all warranties, whether express or implied, including (without limitation)
any implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular
purpose.

GOES-17 ABI L1b and CMI data will be considered operational once the
GOES-17 satellite is declared operational in January 2019. The ABI L1b data
products are calibrated and geo-located radiances of the 16 ABI bands over
the Full Disk (FD) of the Earth, the Continental United States (CONUS)
region, the Mesoscale (MESO) regions, and certain instrument calibration
and engineering data. The CMI data products are reflectances for bands 1-6
and brightness temperatures for bands 7-16."

However, since receiving the message that this was included in, we are
planning on making the GOES-17 products available since the ABI
imagery apparently have reached provisional maturity:

From address@hidden  Fri Dec  7 17: 12:05 2018

"Topic: Status of GOES-17 ABI L1b and CMI Data

Date/Time Issued: December 7, 2018 1935 UTC

Product(s) or Data Impacted: GOES-17 ABI L1b and CMI data

Date/Time of Initial Impact: November 28, 2018 at 2200 UTC

Date/Time of Expected End:  N/A

Length of Event:  N/A

Details/Specifics of Change: The GOES-R Peer Stakeholder - Product
Validation Review for ABI L1b and CMI Provisional Maturity was held on
November 28, 2018. As a result of this review, NOAA has confirmed that the
ABI L1b and CMI data are at Provisional Validation Maturity as of November
28, 2018."

re:
> If so, would it include all the bands?

Yes, our IDD feed of GOES-16 data includes all ABI bands and coverages
and products from all other instruments.  Our same IDD feed (feed type
SATELLITE for LDM versions 6.13.7 and newer; aka DIFAX for LDM versions
6.13.6 and older) will carry all of the GOES-17 products.

re:
> We would like to
> work on blending LEO/GEO data for operations in Alaska.

This sounds good.

Questions:

- Will your LEO/GEO composites (blends) be in the same netCDF4
  format as the ABI imagery, or will you be developing a new
  format while still using netCDF4 as the container, something
  like the SCMI ABI imagery that is being distributed in NOAAPort?

- Would you be willing to share your composites with the Unidata
  community via an LDM/IDD feed?

Ticket ID: MGW-198908
Department: Support IDD