[LDM #MKM-645428]: St. Cloud State University LDM Startup

Hi Bailey,

re:
> My name is Bailey Swick; I am working with the Atmospheric and Hydrologic
> Sciences
> Department at St. Cloud State University. We are in the process of getting a
> working LDM
> here again, and I'm leading the project. We haven't run an LDM or IDD since
> the mid
> 2000s, so we're basically starting from scratch.

Welcome back!

re:
> I have read through the tutorials on the set up process for the LDM. I am
> wondering if
> any of those steps will be different due to the fact that there was once an
> LDM and IDD
> setup here before.

It will depend on whether or not you are really starting from scratch, or if
you will be trying to use LDM configurations that were used many years ago.

re:
> According to the IDD list, our upstream hosts were UW-Madison and
> Nebraska-Lincoln.

Our page that lists site-specific information like site contact and upstream
feed host(s) is:

https://www.unidata.ucar.edu/projects/idd/sitelist.html

The entries for St. Cloud State are:

LDM machine: waldo.stcloudstate.edu
upstream:    f5.aos.wisc.edu
upstream:    idd.unl.edu

Site administrator:

Alan Anderson
acand @ stcloudstate.edu
612-255-4247

Since you have been inactive for a long time, all of this information is now
out of
date.

> Our point of contact was Alan Anderson, but he retired many years ago. The
> new point of
> contact should be Dr. Alan Srock (cc'ed in this email).

We will update our sitelist information, but first we need Alan's phone number
and the name of the machine on which you will be running your LDM.

re:
> Please let us know how we should get started and if there are others we will
> need to
> contact along the way.

The first things you need to do after identifying a machine on which the LDM
will
be run are:

- make sure that the machine is well enough configured to be able to ingest,
  decode and store the data you are interested in

  This will determine how much RAM and disk space you will need.

- create a 'ldm' account

- download the latest LDM distribution

- build and install the distribution as per the information on our LDM website

- identify which LDM/IDD datastreams you want to receive

- send us the information on your LDM setup:

  fully qualified machine name and its IP address
  feeds you want to receive - we will assign you upstream feed sites
  a general idea of what you want to do with the data (e.g., decode it
    for use in GEMPAK, or AWIPS, or McIDAS, etc.)

Question:

- is it your desire to use some of the configuration that was done
  for the LDM that was run there way back when?

  If yes, it would be helpful for us to see the various LDM configuration
  files so that we can better help guide you through the process.

Comments:

- if you run into difficulties building, installing and configuring your
  LDM, please know that we are here to help, so don't hesitate to ask
  questions!

  Also, it is sometimes useful for us to be able to logon to end-user
  machines to see what is going wrong (if anything is going wrong, of
  course) and tweak things to get them running.

- it is our experience that sites can have problems getting data via
  the LDM, and invariably this boils down to the firewall configuration
  in the departmental and/or campus networks

  We can help troubleshoot these kinds of things also.

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.

Ticket ID: MKM-645428