[LDM #JEK-162128]: Using scour with grbfile.sh

Hi Carol,

re:
> Ok I thought the scour wasn't going to work.

Well, it would work, but not completely.  Leaving empty directories
will be confusing, so it is best to use something else.

re:
> Yes, can you send me your Tcl-based scouring routines to typhoon?

I just copied over the scripts to the ~yoksas/util directory on
typhoon.  For reference, here is how we are running the scripts from
the 'ldm' account on our server, lead.unidata.ucar.edu:

00 19 * * *   util/scourBYday      /data/ldm/pub/native/satellite         14
>/dev/null 2>&1
00 19 * * *   util/scourBYday      /data/ldm/pub/decoded/gempak/areas     45
>/dev/null 2>&1
00 19 * * *   util/scourBYday      /data/ldm/pub/decoded/mcidas/NEXRCOMP  45
>/dev/null 2>&1
30 * * * *    util/scourBYnumber   /data/ldm/pub/decoded/gempak/nexrad    96
>/dev/null 2>&1

NB:

- the argument to scourBYday script is how many days of data to keep on disk

  The argument to scourBYnumber is how many files to keep in the specified
  directory.

- lead.unidata.ucar.edu's clock is not UTC (or, at least, the clock in the 'ldm'
  account is local time), and this is why the hour specified in the first three
  crontab entries is 19

  If the clock on your LDM machine(s) is running in UTC for your 'ldm' user,
simply
  change 19 to 0 (and change the minute from 00 to something a bit larger like
  05).

- both scourBYday and scourBYnumber are configured to use 'tclsh' located
  in the /usr/bin directory

  You could either install TCL on your machines so that this location for
  'tclsh' will be valid, or you can modify the reference to the location
  that will match the installation on your machines.

  If you have McIDAS-X installed, you will find the version of 'tclsh'
  that is built by the McIDAS-X installation in the ~mcidas/tcl/bin directory.

re:
> Thanks so much for your help!

No worries.

Ticket ID: JEK-162128