[Support #PZX-493994]: IDD question

Hi Jim,

Your support question has found its way to me. I understand you are hoping to
insert a product hourly to the LDM queue
for others to use.

This is a common practice.

You would use the LDM utilty pqinsert to add the product to the queue.

Here is the man page dump for pqinsert:

PQINSERT(1)                                                        PQINSERT(1)

NAME
       pqinsert - insert files as products in an LDM product queue.

SYNOPSIS
       pqinsert  [-ivx]  [-l  logfile] [-q queue] [-s seqno] [-f feedtype] [-p
       product ID] filename...

DESCRIPTION
       This program is an example of how to insert data into  an  LDM  product
       queue.   Its  primary  function  is as a coding example. It may also be
       used to test the ldm system.  It might also be useful  to  resend  data
       after a downstream node has been offline, or to queue locally generated
       products for transmission.

       Each file given on the command line is converted to a separate ldm data
       product.   By  default,  the  file  name is used as product identifier.
       This default can be changed using the -p option to specify  some  other
       product  identifier.   The  product  feed  type  is  specified  by  the
       -f option.  The current time used as product arrival time.  The product
       is then inserted at the end of the specified queue.

OPTIONS
       -i      Compute  the  MD5  signature from the product-identifier rather
               than from the product’s data.  You should only use this  option
               if  computing  the  MD5 signature from the product’s data takes
               too long and if the product-identifier is unique.

       -f feedtype
               Asserts that the data being sent has feed type  feedtype.   The
               default is ‘EXP’, indicating an experimental feedtype.

       -l logfile
               the path name of a file to be used as the log file for the pro-
               cess.  The default is log to stderr.

       -p productID
               Asigns the data the product identifier productID.  If  multiple
               files  are being inserted, the product identifier becomes <pro-
               ductID>.<sequenceNumber>.  The default  product  identifier  is
               the name of the file being inserted.

       -q queue
               Pathname  of  the  queue  into  which to insert the files.  The
               default is $(regutil /queue/path).

       -s seqno
               Sets the product sequence  number  associated  with  the  first
               product  to  seqno.  Subsequent  products (files on the command
               line) are numbered sequentially. Defaults to zero.

       -v      Verbose flag.  If present, the log will contain a line for each
               product file that was inserted.

       -x      Requests  that debugging information also be printed (currently
               none).

EXIT STATUS
       If the program exits with a failure status, then the user should  check
       the log messages for details on the failure. If the exit-status is non-
       zero, then it will be that of the last input file for  which  an  error
       occurred,  which  will  hide  previous  errors; consequently, inserting
       files one-at-a-time is advisable if you need to know for which file  an
       error occurred.

       0      Success.   All input files were inserted into the product-queue.

We would like you to place this data into the EXP feed, that is where we place
experimental data, and unique non NCEP data. Your downstream LDM at MDL would
request the EXP feed from you.

Not knowing the path or filename, the command would look something like this:

pqinsert -f EXP <filepath>

Hopefully the filename is unique, otherwise we may need to invoke the -p
"ProductID" flag to name it something unique.

Have you worked with the LDM already, or are you new to the LDM? If new, you
may have some more questions, please ask as needed as you install the LDM. :)

Thank you,

Jeff

> Hi Jeff,
>
> Jim is looking to setup an LDM feed to deliver a small hourly product to an
> NWS office. What would be the best path forward?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sean
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 8:27 AM Jim Biard <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Sorry to pester you guys, but I've got a data feed that folks at the NWS
> > MDL would like to have. They would apparently prefer it via LDM. It's a
> > small feed, volume-wise (one small JSON file per hour), and I was wondering
> > who might be good to talk to about best ways to accomplish that.
> >
> > Grace and peace,
> >
> > Jim
> > --
> > [image: CICS-NC] <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
> > Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> *Jim Biard*
> > *Research Scholar*
> > Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
> > North Carolina State University <http://ncsu.edu/>
> > NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information
> > <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
> > *formerly NOAA’s National Climatic Data Center*
> > 151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
> > <https://maps.google.com/?q=151+Patton+Ave,+Asheville,+NC+28801&entry=gmail&source=g>
> > e: address@hidden
> > o: +1 828 271 4900
> >
> > *Connect with us on Facebook for climate
> > <https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
> > <https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us on
> > Twitter at @NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
> > @NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. *