[IDD #ULH-772772]: IDD --> GTS ?

Hi Tom,

re:
> I have been running a NOAA SBIR
> (Small-Business Innovative Research) call for proposals for the
> development of inexpensive and potentially crowd-sourced weather-related
> observing systems that could ultimately be of benefit to the National
> Weather Service.  I put out the call for proposals with some scientific
> intuition about the potential value of such data for data assimilation,
> but without much knowledge about the practicalities of how, were some of
> these systems to be developed, their data could make its way to the WMO
> GTS such that it can be assimilated.

This is very interesting!

re:
> Through web browsing, I see that IDD is a way for researchers at
> universities to share data.   The primary question is whether IDD is
> also a potential preferred pathway for this sort of data to make its way
> onto the GTS.  And if not IDD, what are alternatives?

The LDM (the IDD is a project built upon cooperating LDMs) could be used
to move data into the GTS IF the organization(s) responsible for collecting
data and relaying it in the GTS is(are) interested in using it.  Given
the recent efforts in NOAA to use the LDM for disseminating data, I would
think that they would be able/interested/willing to use the LDM to collect
data that they then relay in the GTS, but this is simply conjecture on
my part.

re:
> If these questions are complicated and hard to answer in e-mail, feel
> free to give me a call at the number below.

Rebecca (Becky) Cosgrove and/or Carissa Klemmer of NOAA should be
here in Boulder to participate in our User's Committee meeting
on April 4th and 5th.  I think that having this discussion with
Becky or Carissa would make the most sense as Becky is head of the
newish group in NOAA that is in charge of data distribution.  It
was Becky that has paved the way for us (Unidata Program Center)
to get access to all of the data available in the GTS so we can
relay it to our sites in the IDD (being mindful, of course, of
products that have WMO Resolution 40 restrictions).

So that you can initiate the discussion of using the LDM to move
data into the GTS with Becky/Carissa, I'm including their emails:

Rebecca Cosgrove - NOAA Federal <address@hidden>
Carissa Klemmer - NOAA Federal <address@hidden>

re:
> Thanks,

No worries.  I think that using the LDM to move data to the GTS makes
a lot of sense.  Hopefully, Becky or Carissa or someone else in the
NOAA data distribution group can help make this happen.

Ticket ID: ULH-772772
Department: Support IDD