[IDD #IJP-713008]: NCEP data problems

Hi Russ,

re:
> Has anyone heard details about what’s going on at NCEP with their
> data center downtime?

We interacted with folks in the NOAA Dataflow team yesterday about
the outage of Canadian obs, and were reminded/told that status messages
are being sent out in 'NOUS42 KWNO' messages.  Here is the most
recent of these messages that appears to be related to the outage:

000
NOUS42 KWNO 221525
ADMNFD

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE
NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD
1524Z THU FEB 22 2018

NCO TECHS CONTINUE TO TROUBLESHOOT REMAINING DATACENTER COMMS
ISSUES AT NCWCP. THE REMAINING KNOWN ISSUES ATTM ARE INCOMING
ECMWF/UKMET DATA AS WELL AS DATASTREAM.

12Z MODEL PRODUCTION SUITE IS RUNNING ONTIME.

12Z RAOB RECAP...

70273/AFC - 10142...GROUND EQUIPMENT FAILURE.
78897/PTP - SHORT TO 543MB.
72402/WAL - PURGED TEMP/MOISTURE 794-704MB...WET BULB EFFECT.
76394/MTY - PURGED TEMP/MOISTURE 187-131MB...SUPER ADIABATIC
             LAPSE RATES.
76692/HYY - PURGED TEMP/MOISTURE 1001-900MB...WET BULB EFFECT.
78486/SDQ - PURGED TEMP/MOISTURE 997-696MB...WET BULB EFFECT.
74560/ILX - NO REPORT FOR NAM...IN FOR GFS.
91413/YAP - 10152...BALLOON FORCED DOWN BY PRECIPITATION.

CRITICAL WEATHER DAY STATUS...
NCEP DOES NOT ANTICIPATE A CWD DURING THE NEXT 3 DAYS.

LIDDICK/SDM/NCO/NCEP

re:
> I saw that WPC and OPC were unable to issue some products today, and
> it’s caused CONDUIT to be essentially useless.

Yup.

re:
> Just curious if there are any insights about what happened or when it
> might be resolved.

We have not been told exactly what happened at the College Park data
center (not that we expected to be told, mind you).  One comment was
that this outage reinforces the objective for having redundant
relay facilities here in Boulder.

re:
> Thanks!

Sorry we don't have more information...