[IDD #CXW-914463]: GOES 16 data... via LDM?

Hi Gerry,

re:
> We're looking to get the GOES-16 Level 2 products here. Got any ideas?

The Level 2 products are available in the LDM/IDD HDS and NOTHER feeds.

re:
> We're also interested in the 5-min RadC data and cloud properties
> retrievals.

Hmm... RadC is a coverage, not a type of product.

There are a number of products that could be referred to as cloud properties:

CloudOpticalDepth
CloudParticleSize
CloudTopHeight
CloudTopPhase
CloudTopPressure
CloudTopTemperature

Is this the list you have in mind, or are some of the other ones also of
interest?

re:
> Know of any chance of getting those?

If you already have an LDM/IDD feed, all you need to do is make sure
that you are REQUESTing the appropriate feeds.  The following will REQUEST
all Level-2 products:

REQUEST NOTHER|HDS "^IXT" <upstream feed host>

The Product IDs for the GOES-16 Level 2 products look like:

IXTH99 KNES 162221
IXTD99 KNES 162221
IXTW01 KNES 162221
IXTN99 KNES 162221
IXTG99 KNES 162221

It is pretty clear that the Product IDs do _not_ have enough information
to allow one to extract the coverages that one wants!

What we are doing here (and this is in no way finished) is:

1) using a Python script to strip off the header block and FILE products
   in a gross way

   The pattern-action file entry for processing the Level 2 products we
   are using is:

#
# -------------------------------------
# - NOAAPORT GOES-16 netCDF4 Products -
# -------------------------------------
#
NOTHER|HDS      ^IXT(...) KNES ([0-9][0-9])([0-9][0-9][0-9][0-9])
        PIPE    -close
        etc/TDS/ldm-alchemy/strip_header.py
/data/ldm/pub/native/satellite/GOES/GOES16/Products/\1/(\2:yyyy)(\2:mm)\2/GOES16_\1_(\2:yyyy)(\2:mm)\2_\3.nc4

   strip_header.py is part of the ldm-alchemy package that Ryan May wrote
   and makes available in the Unidata section of GitHub.

2) I wrote a BASH script, L2ProdLink.sh, that we run once per minute out of cron
   to create hard links from disk files written by strip_header.py to
   files in much more descriptive named directories whose subdirectories
   represent the coverage of the products

   I have attached L2ProdLink.sh to this reply for your review.

If you are looking to grab individual files from time to time and are not
looking for an LDM/IDD feed, you can browse files in the
thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu
catalog:

http://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/catalog.html

  Test Datasets
  http://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/testDatasets.html

    GOES-16 Products

http://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/satellite/goes16/catalog.html

      GOES-16 -> Products

http://thredds-test.unidata.ucar.edu/thredds/catalog/satellite/goes16/GOES16/Products/catalog.html

The directory hierarchies shown in the last page represent those created by
strip_header.py
AND L2ProdLink.sh.  L2ProdLink.sh cracks the files written by strip_header.py
and
extracts the coverage information and the name of the original file that is
stored
in the netCDF global attribute 'dataset_name' (e.g.,
OR_ABI-L2-ADPM2-M3_G16_s20180472242576_e20180472243033_c20180472243203.nc)

Aside: I found that I needed to get and then use the original file name from the
'dataset_name' global attribute for ADDE serving of the data.  The Level 2
products
are available via ADDE in the RTGOESR dataset on both lead.unidata.ucar.edu and
atm.ucar.edu.

Ticket ID: CXW-914463
Department: Support IDD