20171218: GOES-16 data availability via the IDD

LDM-users:

Sometime before GOES-13 is turned off (currently scheduled for Jan 3,
2018) Unidata will begin offering an LDM/IDD feed of the GOES-16 imagery
and products we are receiving in the GRB downlink (as opposed to NOAAPort)
we operate here at UCAR.  The top level IDD relay nodes that we operate
on behalf of the Unidata community here at UCAR, idd.unidata.ucar.edu
and iddb.unidata.ucar.edu will provide the data relay service.

Our current plan is to repurpose the existing, yet unused, DIFAX feed
type into a feed we will name SATELLITE.  Until sites install a new
version of the LDM that supports the SATELLITE feed name, the data
products will be tagged as belonging to DIFAX.

IMPORTANT:

If your LDM is currently REQUESTing products under the DIFAX feed type
and is participating in the IDD, you are advised to comment out those
REQUESTs and then restart your LDM.

In the coming days, we will be 1) creating web pages that describe the
LDM/IDD Product IDs for the GOES-16 imagery and products; 2) give LDM
configuration file examples for how to REQUEST that portion of the feed
that you are interested in; and 3) provide example LDM pattern-action
file actions to process the products to disk.  We will send out follow-up
emails to let you know of the availability of the web pages as they are
developed and cleaned-up.

We will also be making GOES-16 imagery and products available by the
remote server technologies we support: McIDAS ADDE, the TDS, and AWIPS
EDEX.  ADDE and TDS services are already available on one or our
motherlode class data servers, lead.unidata.ucar.edu.

We welcome comments/suggestions/questions about the new service!  Please
send your thoughts to:

address@hidden

Best regards,

Unidata IDD Support