[LDM #VBU-998349]: MRMS data request

Sebastien,

GRIB is a message-based format, so you can take multiple grib files and just
concatenate them. From unix, you could do this as:

cat MRMS*.grib2 > my_new_grib_file.grib2

You could then use GRIB-aware tools, like pygrib or netCDF-java to open the
tools and they should give you the data as the 3D cube you're looking for.

Keep in mind we're not responsible for MRMS, we only distribute what's sent out
over NOAAPORT, so we have no control over the format and what's available.

Ryan

> Good evening,
>
> I am currently a Human-Centered Design Ph.D. student doing research on 3D
> weather information visualization at Florida Institute of Technology. My goal
> is to introduce 3D weather information visualization to pilots and evaluate
> the impact on their weather situation awareness, critical thinking and
> decision making.
>
> It seems to me that getting MRMS information would be a good thing to start
> with. I noticed that I could retrieve 3D data from
> http://mrms.ncep.noaa.gov/data/3DRefl/
> <http://mrms.ncep.noaa.gov/data/3DRefl/>. However, this gives me a compressed
> file available as an “image” (.grib2) that I can’t really turn into a 3D
> volume. I was wondering it there was a way I could get the “raw information”
> from those .grib2 files so I can then create vectors or polygons in my 3D
> environment to render 3D reflectivity.

Ticket ID: VBU-998349
Department: Support IDD