[LDM #FGZ-978731]: LDM installation and configuration at USNA

Hi Alex,

Sorry for the slow reply!

> As <ldm>, I did the following:
>
> cd ~ldm
> ldmadmin stop
>
> Here is what is on the screen:
>
> [ldm@edmapsserver ~]$ ldmadmin stop
> Stopping the LDM server...
> Waiting for the LDM server to terminate...
> .
> . (repeated, after some time)
> .
> Waiting for the LDM server to terminate...
> stop_ldm: LDM server not dead.
>
> I tired this a couple times, same result. Any thoughts?

Hmm...  I have experienced an inability to shutdown an LDM on
_rare_ occasions, and those were typically associated with some
problem with the LDM queue.  At this point, the only thing I know
how to do is:

<as 'ldm'>
ps -u ldm

-- find all of the LDM-replated processes in the list and try killing
   them "by hand" using 'kill <pid>

   NB: by LDM-related processes, I am referring to all instances of
   'ldmd', 'pqact' and 'rtstats'.  I am not referring to Xwindows, etc
   that may be running by virtue of the 'ldm' being logged onto the
   system console.

If killing the LDM-related processes does not work as user 'ldm',
'root' may have to try the same.  Given the situation at the USNA
(no dedicated system administrator, etc.), it may be easiest to
simply reboot the machine.  If the reboot approach is (needed to be)
taken, then the LDM queue should be deleted and recreated by 'ldm'
after the OS is back up:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin clean
ldmadmin delqueue
ldmadmin mkqueue
ldmadmin start

Again, the situation of an LDM not stopping is rare, so you should
not worry that this sort of thing will become routine (unless there
is something seriously wrong with your machine).

Ticket ID: FGZ-978731
Department: Support IDD