[IDD #XXK-415930]: Hi and Questions!

Hi Dr. Garbanzo :-)

re:
> How are you? How is it going in Unidata? Still going strong?

I'm doing OK, thanks.  How are you?

re:
> Costa Rica is pretty nice these days, I just came back from the Rincon de
> la Vieja Volcano, beautiful place in the north. Did you ever visit that
> place?

Unfortunately, no.  The last time I was in Costa Rica, I visited an old
college friend who has been living on the southern tip of the Nicoya
peninsula for the past 35 years!

re:
> I have two quick questions for you:
>
> 1. At some point you send me an address that I could use to download
> imagery from GOES, is there any chance that you remember it? I think it was
> only for the previous year, but that could be very useful.

There are GOES image sectors in the IDD NIMAGE and UNIWISC datastreams,
so you can get those directly.  As for getting access to real time imagery,
we operate downlinks for both GOES-East and GOES-West, and both of those
systems have an ADDE servers that are open.  As far as downloading image
files in some other way, we do not support anything other than ADDE
at the moment.

The ADDE servers are on:

machine                     ADDE dataset group
---------------------------+------------------
goeseast.unidata.ucar.edu - EAST
goeswest.unidata.ucar.edu - WEST

re:
> 2. Now at UCR, I want to start downloading satellite imagery and other
> data, I will install a computer with ldm and all the other software. Whom
> do I need to address the request to be included in the lists of allowed
> computers?

Please send inquiries as follows:

GEMPAK - address@hidden
LDM    - address@hidden
IDD    - address@hidden
McIDAS - address@hidden
IDV    - address@hidden

re:
> I noticed that NOVRA (the people behind the old satellite
> receiver that you set up here) now has a similar receiver that will be able
> to download from GOES-R, have you played with that at all?

I had not noticed that Novra was going to sell a unit specifically designed
for GOES-R ingest; I see that they are advertising a "solution" for
Himawaricast,
however.

We got monies from the GOES-R program to install a GOES-R downlink and data
processing/serving capability up at the NCAR Mesa Lab here in Boulder.  We are
in the process of getting bids for the satellite dish purchase and installation.
Hopefully, the installation will be completed sometime in September.

re:
> Cheers! Hope to see you soon!

I hope to see you in the not too distant future also!

Ticket ID: XXK-415930
Department: Support IDD