[IDD #VOE-175439]: estimate on GOES-R data volume

Hi Dave,

re:
> I know this is jumping the gun, but do you have any estimate on
> the data volume GOES-R will add to the IDD?

Interesting question!

If the simulated GOES-R data that was sent in the NOAAPort SBN
during tests conducted in August are a good indication of what is
likely to be seen when there really is a GOES-R platform (latest
estimates for GOES-R launch are Fall 2016), then the GOES-R volume
would be the most voluminous of all of the datasets distributed in
the IDD.  I seem to recall that the volumes we saw in the
NOTHER (we intend to change the feed to NIMAGE) feed during the
tests were on the order of a consistent 10+ GB/hr.  But, you should
not hold me to that number as it is a remembrance that could be
wrong (but if it is, it would be on the low side, not on the high
side).

Quite frankly, with the GOES-R series we will be moving into an
era where distributing data via an LDM push will likely not
be the best way for users to get the data.  Instead, we believe
that users will access the coverages that they want via remote
data access from servers that have all of the data.  I say this
because GOES-R is speced to be able to image the full disk
every 5 minutes in 16 wavelength channels (maximum scan rate;
the other full disk scanning strategy is slated to be every
15 minutes) at resolutions that are at least double of what the
GOES GVAR series of satellites produces today.

Comment:

We have been "promised" that we will be getting funds to install a
single GOES-R reception system here in UCAR, and, if we do (awards
are, of course, subject to availability of funds, so a "promise" is
not a guarantee), we will be serving all of the data to the Unidata
community via ADDE initially and eventually by the TDS.

re:
> The University may be upgrading its Internet 2 feed, and I need
> to give them some numbers on what to expect our IDD usage will be
> down the road.

If one currently receives all of the data available in the IDD, one
would have to have the ability to ingest close to 50 GB/hr during
peak volume times.  Add to this the ** estimate ** of 10+ GB/hr for
NOAAPort SBN-delivered GOES-R sectors, and the total easily exceeds
60 GB/hr.

Big boy warranty:

The numbers mentioned above are all estimates that will most certainly
be on the low side as higher resolution model output becomes available.

Ticket ID: VOE-175439
Department: Support IDD