[IDD #TBP-168492]: Relationship of IDD/NOAAPort/AWIPSII

> Good afternoon,

Good afternoon Patrick,

> I'm a researcher at the University of Maryland and we're in the process of
> establishing a proving ground and test bed. One of the first steps has been
> setting up a basic AWIPS-II machine that ingests NOAAPort feeds.

Sounds good...

> From what I could find through the Unidata support site, it looks like the
> IDD distributes NOAAPort data, which we could ingest through LDM.
> Management at the university wants to install our own NOAAPort, but this
> seems like it could be a large waste of money if all the data is already
> available through Unidata.
>
> Could you please provide some clarity on this? If IDD provides NOAAPort
> feed, are there benefits to having a locally installed NOAAPort?

Yes, Unidata does provide for NOAAPort data delivery via our IDD/LDM system.

We are NOT operational, although we have remarkable uptime, we cannot guarantee
24/7.

Unidata provides best effort, and we have mechanisms in place for you to pull
data that could be missed
if your site has a machine or network issue. We also redundantly feed from
other NOAAPort ingest sites in case we go down.

However, some feel that a dish at their site adds reliability...it's a
"control" thing :)

> Apologies that this is a rudimentary request. Thanks for your help.

No worries....ask anything at anytime :)

> Patrick Meyers

> Faculty Research Assistant
> University of Maryland
> (301) 405-2045