[IDD #JUA-118744]: recent data outages -- gwoemul.wiu.edu

Hi Marcus,

re:
> Our LDM has been getting data outages lately,

We had some hiccups this past weekend when the machine rooms
that house a number of our outward facing services were taken
down.  Service was mostly up by midday on Monday, but there
have been some lingering problems with the machine we collect
real-time IDD statistics (rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu).

re:
> with the message in the logs similar to this:
>
> -------------
> Nov 12 13:15:33 gwoemul rtstats[11147] WARN: Couldn't connect to LDM on
> rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu
> using either port 388 or portmapper; : RPC: Remote system error - Connection
> timed out

Being able to send real-time stats back to us should not have any effect
on your ability to be fed data.

re:
> Nov 12 13:15:30 gwoemul idd.unidata.ucar.edu[11152] ERROR: Disconnecting due
> to LDM failure;
> Couldn't connect to LDM on idd.unidata.ucar.edu using either port 388 or
> portmapper;
> : RPC: Remote system error - Connection timed out

This is indeed a problem.  It typically means, however, that there is some
problem in the network connection between you and idd.unidata.ucar.edu.

Questions:

- is your machine still having problems receiving data from
idd.unidata.ucar.edu?

- did you try restarting (ldmadmin restart) your LDM to see if the problem
  would clear?

I will check the real server backend machines of the idd.unidata.ucar.edu
cluster to see if log messages shed more light on what may be going on
with the feed(s) to you.

Ticket ID: JUA-118744
Department: Support IDD