[LDM #ZGC-437176]: Dealing with unreadable GRIB files

Rich,

> >> In the past 9 months we have had 22 files NAM files and 33 GFS files
> >> that the TDS was unable to read (produces 0 length GRIB index files).
> >>
> >> When 0 length GRIB index files get created, the TDS times out on these
> >> datasets, and our workflow is broken.
> >
> > Understandable, that is not OK!
> >

> >> This is an error rate of about 10%.
> >
> > Well, closer to 2% (4 runs per day), unless you are only requesting one
> > synoptic time per day, but even 2% is far greater than one would expect, we
> > see generally 99.98 reliability..if not better.

TCP unreliability is much, much less than 2%. It's far more likely that there's
something wrong with the decoder or the GRIB file.

Do you have something that can check the validity of a GRIB file?

Regards,
Steve Emmerson

Ticket ID: ZGC-437176
Department: Support IDD