[IDD #AQJ-133406]: [ldm-users] LDM configuration

Hi Peter,

I redirected your post to the address@hidden email list
into our inquiry tracking system.

Questions:

- are you still having difficulties receiving model data?

- what is the fully-qualified hostname and IP address for the
  machine on which you are running the LDM?

- have you reviewed your LDM log files to see what they have to
  say about your attempt to get data from the upstream hosts you
  list below?

> Since November 29th 2012, we have not been able to obtain NAM or AVN,
> GFS data via our LDM system. see our ldmd.conf file
>
> request FNMOC|CONDUIT|HDS|UNIWISC|NGRID ".*"    ldm.aoos.org PRIMARY
> request FNMOC|CONDUIT|HDS       ".*"    bigbird.tamu.edu ALTERNATE
> request NGRID   ".*"    idd.ssec.wisc.edu       PRIMARY
> request FNMOC|CONDUIT|HDS|NGRID ".*"    idd.unidata.ucar.edu ALTERNATE

Comments:

- the PRIMARY and ALTERNATE qualifiers on your feed REQUESTs no longer
  mean anything for current versions of the LDM

- given the volume of data in the CONDUIT and NGRID feeds, I would
  recommend splitting your feed REQUESTS

re:
> So we want to make sure we are requesting the data from the correct
> location. These were fine until end of November.

The sites you are REQUESTing from seem fine.  I strongly recommend that
you change the actual feed REQUESTs to something like the following:

Change:

request FNMOC|CONDUIT|HDS|UNIWISC|NGRID ".*" ldm.aoos.org PRIMARY
request FNMOC|CONDUIT|HDS ".*" bigbird.tamu.edu ALTERNATE
request NGRID ".*" idd.ssec.wisc.edu PRIMARY
request FNMOC|CONDUIT|HDS|NGRID ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu ALTERNATE

to:

request FNMOC|HDS ".*" ldm.aoos.org
request CONDUIT ".*" ldm.aoos.org
request NGRID ".*" ldm.aoos.org
request UNIWISC ".*" ldm.aoos.org

request FNMOC|HDS ".*" idd.tamu.edu
request CONDUIT ".*" idd.tamu.edu

request NGRID ".*" idd.ssec.wisc.edu

request FNMOC|HDS ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request CONDUIT ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
request NGRID ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

It is our experience that REQUESTing all of CONDUIT in a single
REQUEST line can be problematic for sites that are (electronically)
distant from the upstream(s) that the REQUEST is being made to;
I would assume that U Alaska Fairbanks would fall into this category.
Most sites split their CONDUIT feed into fifths to minimize
latencies in the feed.  If your machine is experiencing high
latencies in CONDUIT data reception, then try splitting all
of the CONDUIT REQUESTs into fifths.  Here is an example of
splitting the CONDUIT REQUEST to idd.unidata.ucar.edu into fifths:

Change:

request CONDUIT ".*" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

REQUEST CONDUIT "([09]$)" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST CONDUIT "([18]$)" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST CONDUIT "([27]$)" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST CONDUIT "([36]$)" idd.unidata.ucar.edu
REQUEST CONDUIT "([45]$)" idd.unidata.ucar.edu

NB: if you change one of the CONDUIT REQUESTs, you will need to
change all of the others to match the split setup!!

Ticket ID: AQJ-133406
Department: Support IDD