[IDD #AWT-691526]: NEXRAD Level II feed

Hi Jamie,

re:
> We acquire NEXRAD Level II data from Unidata via LDM for use in several
> real-time government systems. We now have two redundant LDM machines available
> to pull in the Level II data from Unidata. However, I first wanted to ask what
> Unidata's policy on this is, e.g. do you mind if a client institution
> essentially pulls Level II data in twice using two different LDM clients?

We would prefer that you pull the data from one machine and feed the other
from it.  For added robustness, you would configure the secondary machine
to check to see if the primary's LDM is running (e.g., cron-initiated
'ldmping's,
etc.), and, if it is not, switch the primary/secondary roles of your two
machines.
This will have the beneficial effects of keeping the load on your upstream(s)
as low as possible and minimizing network bandwidth use.

re:
> This
> would maximize reliability for our systems, however we do not want to
> overburden
> your servers.

A number of sites have setups like the one I briefly outlined above, and our
impression is that their setups work well for them.

Ticket ID: AWT-691526
Department: Support IDD