[IDD #MVS-951003]: AWIPS2 and bandwidth requirements

Hi Bob,

re:
> Thanks for the info on anticipated bandwidth requirements.

No worries.

re:
> Our network administrator wanted to know if Unidata IDD can
> be supplied (or will eventually be supplied) via Internet-2.

It already is.  Use of Internet-2 or the commodity Internet is
governed by the network setup at the receiving institution (you)
and your upstream feed host(s).  If, for instance, you were to
request your data feeds from Penn State, then it would only work
if your machine was on Internet-2 as their network requires this.

re:
> Our LDM machine is blizzard.oswego.edu (129.3.65.73).
> We made the switch in July 2010. I think I notified Unidata
> about the change.

Yes, I see to recall this.

re:
> Is there anything I can do locally to begin
> sending our realtime stats to Undata?

You need to make sure that the 'rtstats'
'exec' line in ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf is there and
uncommented.  It should look like:

EXEC    "rtstats -h rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu"

NB:

- the 'exec' does not need to be capitalized

- this should work if:

  - outgoing traffic to port 388 on remote machines
    is not blocked by the local firewall

  - your machine can resolve rtstats.unidata.ucar.edu
    into its IP address which is 128.117.149.8

Ticket ID: MVS-951003
Department: Support IDD