[IDD #PYG-707627]: Upgrading operating system for aeolus (SIO-UCSD)

Hi Mary,

Sorry I missed your phone call... we were in a staff meeting.

re:
> Our full-time systems support is going away in a few weeks. Before
> that happens I'm trying to get the operating systems on our linux
> boxes updated.

This would be a very good move!

re:
> We are currently running ldm on a machine called "aeolus" -- the
> operating system on this machine is redhat 3 (no longer supported).
> Our systems administrator would like to upgrade to RH6. Would that be
> ok?

I think that this should work nicely.  We use the latest Fedora releases
from RedHat, so pretty much everything in Enterprise 6 should have been
tested here in one or more Fedora releases.

re:
> I wanted to be sure ldm would continue to work well under this.
> Perhaps I should request RH5? And do you think our ldm package on
> aeolus should be upgraded too?

While we do not run RedHat Enterprise 6 in-house, I can't imagine that
it would pose any barriers for the LDM.  Again, we run Fedora and
RH Enterprise releases are basically "hardened" Fedora releases.  The
following WikiPedia page shows the relationship between Fedora releases
and Enterprise releases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redhat_Enterprise_Linux

re:
> I'm afraid I still "cross my fingers" and hope aeolus keeps working so
> I really appreciate all your help keeping this service going!

If the upgrade goes well, things should continue to work nicely.  We
can help you get the latest LDM installed on the upgraded aeolus if
you like (we already have 'ldm' and 'root' access to the machine, so
if the passwords are not changed we will continue to be able to get
on and make tweaks as needed).

re:
> Thanks!

No worries.