[IDD #DCG-364510]: Request of some facts regarding IDD/LDM

Hi Luis,

I apologize for the slow reply.  Things have been very busy here lately.

re:
> I'm writing a small section of my PhD thesis, where I intend to explore
> some up-to-dated facts related to IDD/LDM, on which we (at University of
> Aveiro, Portugal) participate, since 2004. I would, thus, appreciate
> your help regarding some issues. Would you mind giving me a hand?

I would be glad to help if I can...

re:
> 1) I need to know the latest number of participant countries in IDD and
> how they're distributed in the world

Our real time statistics page shows the number of domains and machines
participating in the IDD who are reporting statistics back to us:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/siteindex

I just looked at this page and saw that 487 machines in 242 unique domains
are participating in the IDD _and_ sending us real time statistics.

NB: These numbers can be used as the lower limit of numbers actually
participating.  We know that there are more domains and more machines
actually participating that are not sending us real time statistics, but
we don't try to track them.

> 2) Could I possibly ask you for a IDD topology map with white
> background, and preferably in high-resolution? (The gif file on the real
> time idd statistics webpage is broken....)

Thanks for pointing out that the IDD topology map was broken.  I looked
into this yesterday afternoon and found that the problem is related
to an updated version of ImageMagick's 'composite' function.  I am
trying to if we have a previous version of the ImageMagick package.
If we do, we will revert to using it to correctly composite the image.
In the meantime, I turned off image compositing so that there is
a semi-usable image of the IDD topology.

Question:

- are you more interested in an image that shows the complete topology
  or do you just need an idealized view?

re:
> 3) Are there recent papers on the IDD (i'm using the Adv. Geosci., 8,
> 91-95, 2006 paper by You, Waldenio and others)

I wrote a paper for an AMS conference in which I traced the evolution
of the LDM and IDD over time.  I wrote this paper to be a reference
for the LDM after a decade of development/deployment.

Question:

- would this article be useful to you?

  If yes, you can find it online at the AMS website.  Search for my
  name (Yoksas) as the author.  If you are unable to find it, I
  will send you the link or a PDF of the paper.

> Thank you very much in advance,

No worries.  Again I apologize for the slowness of my reply.

Ticket ID: DCG-364510
Department: Support IDD