[TIGGE #LJA-831211]: Fwd: [Fwd: Re: ldm can not write to /home/ldm/logs or /TIGGE/dasg011]

Hi Doug,

re:
> We're having trouble getting ldm to write to it's logfile on a linux
> system.  LDM is opening the logfile, but not writing anything to it.
>
> Is there a standard configuration error users encounter in writing the
> ldmd.log file on linux system?

Typically we see that sites don't:

- configure /etc/syslog.conf
- have not turned off SELINUX
- have not performed the final LDM installation step (which is the
  'make install_setuids' step that needs to be done as 'root')
- there is some write permission issue with the LDM log file
  or LDM logs directory

> We've followed all of the setup instructions found in:
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.8.1/basics/preinstallation.html
>
> under  "Edit file /etc/syslog.conf"

The thing to do at this point is test to see if logging should be
working:

<as 'ldm'>
logger -p local0.debug 'test of LDM logging'

After running 'logger', check the size/contents of ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log.
If the test log message is not in the file, recheck the /etc/syslog.conf
settings (or /etc/rsyslog.conf on newer Fedora systems); and/or check to
make sure that SELINUX is disabled (in /etc/selinux/config, SELINUX needs
to be set to disabled or permissive; if this needs changing, the
machine has to be rebooted for the change to take effect).

I these do not work, please send us the contents/output of:

/etc/syslog.conf
/etc/selinux/config

ps -eaf | grep syslog

ls -alt ~ldm/logs

> Thanks,

No worries.

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Paul Goodman <address@hidden>
> > Date: August 28, 2009 9:43:36 AM MDT
> > To: Douglas Schuster <address@hidden>
> > Cc: Chi-Fan Shih <address@hidden>
> > Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: ldm can not write to /home/ldm/logs or /TIGGE/
> > dasg011]
> >
> > Is there an LDM command I can use for testing? I'd like to play
> > around a bit with some different things, and it'd probably be easier if we
> > didn't have all the back and forth and I could just run a command to test
> > logging.
> >
> > -Paul
> >
> > Douglas Schuster wrote:
> >> That didn't work either.