[IDD #TIJ-523411]: LDM/IDD in El Salvador...

Hola Marcial, Luis, y Carlos,

Luis wrote:
> Our expert in LIBUX is Carlos Perez he work in Met Service in the forecast
> and predictio model, ETA, MM5, CPT-IRI.

Very good.  I see that you CCed Carlos to your reply.  He is CCed to this
note also...

Carlos:

The first steps needed to test out use of the LDM for data feeds in your
organization are:

- identify an *nix (i.e., Unix or Linux) machine which has a good connection
  to the Internet AND has sufficient system resources to process the types
  of data you are interested in (e.g., physical RAM, hard disk storage
  capacity, CPU speed)

- create an account on that machine with user name 'ldm'.  The location of
  the HOME directory for 'ldm' is not crucial; most sites use /home/ldm
  or /usr/local/ldm.

- download the LDM from the Unidata anonymous FTP site:

  <login as 'ldm'>
  cd ~ldm
  ftp ftp.unidata.ucar.edu
    <user> anonymous
    <pass> address@hidden
    cd pub/ldm
    binary
    get ldm-6.7.0.tar.gz
    quit

- set some needed enviornment variables for 'ldm'.  For example:

  C Shell syntax; add these lines to ~ldm/.cshrc

  umask 002
  setenv LDMHOME $HOME
  setenv PATH $LDMHOME/bin:$LDMHOME/decoders:$LDMHOME/util:$PATH
  setenv MANPATH $LDMHOME/man:$MANPATH

  BASH syntax; add these lines to ~ldm/.bash_profile:

  umask 002

  if test -f .bashrc; then
      . .bashrc
  fi

  LDMHOME=$HOME
  PATH=$LDMHOME/bin:$LDMHOME/decoders:$LDMHOME/util:$PATH
  MANPATH=$HOME/man:/usr/share/man

  export LDMHOME PATH MANPATH

- create some needed directories:

  <as 'ldm'>
  cd ~ldm
  mkdir decoders util data data/logs
  ln -s data/logs logs

- unpack and build the LDM:

  cd ~ldm
  tar xvzf ldm-6.7.0.tar.gz
  cd ldm-6.7.0/src
  ./configure
  make

- install the newly built LDM:

  <as 'ldm'>
  cd ~ldm/ldm-6.7.0/src
  make install

  <as 'root'>
  cd ~ldm/ldm-6.7.0/src
  make install install_setuids

- configure syslogd logging for LDM use:

  <as 'root'>
  cd /etc
  vi syslog.conf
    -- add appropriate entries.  The following example is for RedHat Linux and
its variants:

*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none;cron.none;local0.none
/var/log/messages

#
# LDM
#
local0.*                                        /usr/local/ldm/logs/ldmd.log

  NB:  the last line needs to point at the file ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log

- finish the LDM installation portion as 'ldm':

  <as 'ldm'>
  cd ~ldm
  ln -s ldm-6.7.0 runtime
  ln -s runtime/* .

  ldmadmin mkqueue            <- this make take a couple of minutes

The next thing that is needed before you can start receiving data is to
determine which site would be best to feed from.  Please perform the
following 'traceroute's and report their results:

<as 'ldm'>
traceroute frankenstein.ucr.ac.cr

traceroute idd.unidata.ucar.edu

traceroute bigbird.tamu.edu

Some NOTES:

- in order for the LDM to be able to request data from upstream sites,
  there needs to be both forward and reverse DNS for the machine your
  LDM will run on

- the firewall on your machine or at your site needs to allow requests
  from your LDM machine to the upstream machine(s) it will feed from

- setting up system logging is _very_ important as it will allow for
  troubleshooting for problems if/when they arise

- it would be _MOST_ useful if your LDM machine were configured to
  allow LDM interrogation by machines in the unidata.ucar.edu domain.
  This is setup as a default in the LDM configuration file,
  ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf, so please do not disable it.

  In order to allow machines in the unidata.ucar.edu domain to
  interrogate your LDM machine, your firewall and/or your site's firewall
  will need to be configured to allow TCP traffic on port 388 for
  machines in the unidata.ucar.edu domain (IP: 128.117.140.x and 127.117.156.x).

At this point, there should be a viable LDM installation (assuming that there
were not errors/problems along the way).

> about the fun for the trip, let me to get something with CRRH, OMM.

It would be most useful to you if Marcial could visit and help setup and
configure the LDM!

Ticket ID: TIJ-523411
Department: Support IDD