[Staging #BDC-768289]: RE: 20080203: LDM package (SOS)

Hi Luis,

re:
>  here are my specific questions:
>
> 1)
> Just for the Unidata-provided packages (LDM, GEMPAK, McIDAS
> and IDV) do you have recommendations on the optimum values
> of memory, processor and hard-disk space that my new computer
> should have?
> (This will help me to make sure that I will not have a
> toy under the minimum requirements)

While all of these packages will run on machines that are not robustly
configured, we recommend that one considers purchasing a new dual core
PC with a "reasonable" amount of RAM (>= 2GB; the more the better) and
enough hard disk to store the data you are interested in keeping online.
The amount of disk will vary from user to user as everyone has different
ideas about how much data is valuable to have online at any particular
time, but I would think in terms of >250 GB AND having more than one
drive (you get better performance when disk reads/writes are distributed
across more than one disk).  We are also moving to 64-bit architectures
so that we can have larger LDM queues and run more things at the same
time.  A nice machine would be a dual Xeon EM64T-based machine (or newer)
with 4 GB of RAM and 0.5 - 1 TB of hard disk.  You should also get a
video card that supports a new release of OpenGL (mainly for the IDV).

The cost for this kind of system in the US is on the order of $2500
to perhaps $3000.

> 2)
> since I am looking for my new desktop computer, I am open to
> any of the major manufacturers. Do you have experience with
> computers that tend to present problems while running any
> of the above packages?

We have run our software on Dells, Suns, and machines we put together
ourselves.  My current machine is a Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.20GHz Dell
machine that has 4 GB of RAM and 200 GB of 10,000 RMP SATA hard disk.
This machine runs nicely.

As for machines we would stay away from...  I would buy a 64-bit machine
if the budget allows and make sure to get as much RAM as you can afford
(e.g., 4 GB or more).  Other than that, I would stay away from machines
built on demand by small scale sellers (local PC shops, etc.) because
you never know what quality the components will be.

Ticket ID: BDC-768289
Department: Support IDD