[IDD #IFM-792517]: moving LDM to a new host server

Hi Svetlin,

re:
> Hi, I checked the log files on both machines fiji.coastal.edu and
> pleiades.coastal.edu. ldmd.log files are emtpy.
> There is nothing in it

This means that the logging part of setting up the LDM was not completed
or not completed correctly.  Since ldmd.log output is extremely helpful
in troublshooting problems, your first job is to get logging working correctly.

I am assuming that your machines are running Linux.  Please let me know
if this is an incorrect assumption.

Assuming Linux, the procedure for getting logging working is as follows:

-- perform the steps described in:
Steps to Perform as root
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/ldm/ldm-6.6.5/basics/preinstallation.html

In particular, perform the steps listed under:
Edit file /etc/syslog.conf

NOTE: whitespace in non-comment lines in /etc/syslog.conf on most OSes needs to
be tabs, not spaces.  If spaces are used instead of tabs, logging will typically
not work.

The other thing to pay attention to is the SELINUX= setting in
/etc/selinux/config.
This should be set to DISABLED or PERMISSIVE (we use DISABLED).  If you have
to change the setting in /etc/selinux/config, you will need to reboot your
machine
to make the change take effect.

The other thing you should make sure to do is create the file ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log
as 'ldm' first.  You want 'ldm' not 'root' to be the owner of the LDM log file.

After making any/all changes to your logging setup (and rebooting if a change
was made to /etc/selinux/config), you can test if logging is working by
running the following:

<as 'ldm'>
cd ~ldm
hupsyslog
logger -p local0.debug 'Test of LDM logging...'

If your configuration changes were made correctly, you should see the
message 'Test of LDM logging...' in your ~ldm/logs/ldmd.log file.

Once logging is working correctly, I would (re)start your LDM:

<as 'ldm'>
ldmadmin stop
ldmadmin start

At this point, ldmd.log entries should shed light on why you are not
receiving data you should be.

Ticket ID: IFM-792517
Department: Support IDD