[Support #EYP-289709]: Re: IDD Contact List Housecleaning

> Steve,
>
> No, wasn't on planning on using the keywords, it was just that my
> ldmd.conf was not orderly enough (pattern overlaps, out of order, etc.)
>
> Now as far as housecleaning the IDD contact list for Plymouth State:
>
> - yin.engin.umich.edu does not appear to be able to serve as an
> alternate IDD feed for Plymouth State.  The machine does not appear to
> be running ldm.  Attempts to email <address@hidden> have
> failed.
>
> - On the IDD contact list, snow.plymouth.edu is listed as:
> Primary feed for SUNY Oswego
> Alternate feed for Air Force Institute of Technology
> Primary feed for California University of Pennsylvania
> Primary feed for Central Michigan University
> Primary feed for Lyndon State College
>
> This would be fine, except we haven't had LDM running on
> snow.plymouth.edu in at least 3 years.  Our primary LDM server is
> typhoon.plymouth.edu.
>
> Here is what I do have listed in our ldmd.conf file:
> allow   ANY     met-05.oswego.edu
> allow   ANY     osric.cup.edu
> allow   ANY     waterspout.cst.cmich.edu
> allow   ANY     gale.sr.unh.edu
> allow   ANY     newfound.sr.unh.edu
>
> ldmping to these hosts produce varied results, some unavilable, some
> addressed, some named
>
> So, at this point, I'm not really sure how to proceed.  I'm also
> wondering about other institutions listed; Purdue for example also has
> yin.engin.umich.edu listed as an alternate feed for them, hence my email
> to the community.  I'm hoping that folks will email back updates to the
> list and then we can go from there.
>
> I'm open to suggestions...
>
> Brendon
>
> Steve Emmerson wrote:
> > Brendon,
> >
> > I hope you don't intend to use the keywords PRIMARY and ALTERNATE in the
> >  LDM configuration-file.  Beginning with version 6.4, the LDM
> > automatically switches between transfer-modes as necessary -- obviating
> > the need to explicitly specify the mode in the configuration-file.
> >
> > Steve Emmerson
> > LDM Developer
> >
> > Brendon Hoch wrote:
> >> IDD Participants,
> >>
> >> I've been woefully behind on updating our LDM installations; I'm going
> >> to be jumping from 6.2.1 to 6.6.5 with today's upgrade.  One of the
> >> reasons I've put off the upgrade is that our ldmd.conf needed a bit of
> >> cleanup in order to work properly with the primary/alternate feed
> >> strategy upgrades that took place around version 6.4 or so.
> >>
> >> As I reconfigured ldmd.conf, I double checked the following page to make
> >> sure I had our primary/secondary feeds listed correctly:
> >> <http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/idd/sitelist.html>
> >>
> >> Upon close inspection, I realized that there are some sites listed that
> >> we should be feeding but haven't been for quite some time (3+ years).
> >> Likewise, our institutional contact for the site that serves as our
> >> alternate feed seems to have disappeared.

> [...]
Hi Brendon,

Thanks for sending out the note to the list. We do this about once a year, but
it is great..and probably better..to have this come from a community member. I
have received two corrections along with yours, hopefully others will chime in.

We attempt and strive to keep this list current, but it is important for us to
get community feedback.

Thanks again,

Jeff
Jeff Weber