[IDD #GCZ-446166]: IDD for the rest of us?

Kelly,

re:
> I've began to wonder what other types of datasources the LDM lets you
> connect to.

The LDM provides the ability to connect to other LDMs that explicitly allow
connection requests.  What data the "upstream" (feeder) LDM has is dependent
on what data it requests from other LDMs and/or is the source of.  An LDM
is the source for data by virtue of its administrator setting up processes
that "inject" data into its queue.  Once a data product is inserted into
an LDM queue, it is available to be relayed to LDMs that request it.

> Could it be used to pull data from an ADDE server?

The images in the Unidata-Wisconsin datastrea (IDD feed type UNIWISC (aka
MCIDAS)
are created by ADDE access to GOES servers as a local file and then injected
into the LDM queue on the same machine (unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu).  You can see
that the process contains more than one step, but the simple answer is that
yes, the LDM can be used to provide access to data that is available through
McIDAS ADDE.

> I'm
> curious because I'd like to store data locally on one of my boxes to
> use but it seems you have to be a university to obtain that. :)

The IDD is a project built from sites that run LDMs and make the data available
to other sites.  The ability to participate in the IDD is not strictly limited
to universities, but universities do comprise the majority of sites in the
IDD.  Other sites that participate in the IDD are the US government (via
NEXRAD Level II data collection and dissemination), some private companies who
make data available to IDD participants in a quid pro quo arrangement,
and foreign institutions that provide access to locally held datasets that
are not available anywhere else.  There is also more than one example of
private individuals that have created a relationship with a university
participating
in the IDD to get a feed of one of the non-restricted types of data.

> Any ideas?

What data are you looking to get access to?

Also, since you mention ADDE, are you currently getting the data you want
through ADDE access?  If yes, you should know that you should be able to
not only visualize the data from an ADDE server, but also save it to disk
(depending on which application you are using).  What application are you
using to access data through ADDE servers?

Finally, what is your status (e.g., home enthusiast; private business; etc.)?

> Thanks!

No worries.

Ticket ID: GCZ-446166
Department: Support IDD