[IDD #NQN-650121]: LDM/IDD feeds from RAL

Hi Gary,

re:
> We are still in the process of cleaning up out LDM configurations, and we are
> taking a look at the various downstream feeds from our hosts.
>
> Right now we have allow statements for the following hosts:
>
> allow   ANY-WSI-EXP-FSL3              wsihcsn.unidata.ucar.edu
> allow   ANY-WSI-NLDN-PCWS-FSL3     idd.unidata.ucar.edu
> allow   ANY-WSI-NLDN-PCWS-FSL3-EXP    zero.unidata.ucar.edu

"Standard" LDM installations have a generic ALLOW line for unidata.ucar.edu
machines.  Please check to see if you have this as one of, if not the first
ALLOW lines:

# Give permission to the Unidata Program Center
ALLOW   ANY     ^[a-z].*\.unidata\.ucar\.edu\.?$        .*

If you have this line (capitalization of ALLOW is not important), you do
not need any other for machines in the unidata.ucar.edu domain.

> We use IDD as our primary upstream feed, these feeds don't seem necessary.

Agreed that it is unlikely that you would feed these specific machines.
ALLOWing any machine in the unidata.ucar.edu, on the other hand, helps us
troubleshoot problems for users' machines.

> We
> plan top remove them from our new server's configuration. If you think they
> might serve some purpose, let us know.

The three listed are not important; the general allow for unidata.ucar.edu
machines is.

> We have some allow statements for hosts from wisc.edu, without any LDM
> management contact information. Here is a list of the hosts:
>
> f5.aos.wisc.edu
> sunset.meteor.wisc.edu
> unidata.ssec.wisc.edu
>
> Any contact inforamtion that you can pass along would be apprectiated.

Here is the contact information:

f5.aos.wisc.edu        - UW/AOS, Pete Pokrandt <poker@@meteor.wisc.edu>
sunset.meteor.wisc.edu - also in UW/AOS, so Pete Pokrandt is the contact
unidata.ssec.wisc.edu  - this machine no longer exists.  unidata2.ssec.wisc.edu
                         however, is the machine that generates and relays the
                         Unidata-Wisconsin datastream (IDD UNIWISC aka MCIDAS
stream)
                         The contact for unidata2 is either Unidata User Support
                         or the SSEC Data Center <address@hidden>

> In addition, we are feeding downstream LDMs inside UCAR, and we are planning
> on
> removing these feeds as well. For your information here is the list of allow
> statements we plan to remove:
>
> allow   ANY-WMO-EXP-FSL3                         oneu1.comet.ucar.edu
> allow   ANY-WSI-NLDN-PCWS-FSL3-EXP     ldm.comet.ucar.edu
> allow         ANY-NLDN-EXP-FSL3               wheel.mmm.ucar.edu
> allow   ANY-NLDN-PCWS-FSL3     box.mmm.ucar.edu
> allow   ANY-NLDN-PCWS-FSL3     tea.mmm.ucar.edu

OK.  I agree with RAL not acting as a relay site for NCAR/UCAR machines.  It
should, however, whenever possible act as a relay for machines in its own
domain,
rap.ucar.edu.

> Thanks,

No worries.