20050314: IDD top level relay atm.geo.nsf.gov PSU (cont.)

>From: "Arthur A. Person" <address@hidden>

Hi Art,

re:
>Please try feeding from:
>idd.unidata.ucar.edu
>
>as a secondary PRIMARY feed with:
>
>atm.geo.nsf.gov
>
>remaining as your "first" (first request in your ldmd.conf)  PRIMARY,

>Does this double the volume of CONDUIT data that would be ingested by our
>relay?

Yes.  The best way to not double the volume is to connect to atm using
an ALTERNATE (aka SECONDARY) feed.  This will not, however, prevent you
from incurring potentially high latencies if the feed to
idd.unidata.ucar.edu goes down for some reason.

re: looking for a top level relay in the East

>There seems to be interest here in exploring this further.  Can you tell
>me what feeds atm currently provides and how many downstream IDD
>connections there are?

The feeds that atm provides is listed in the real time statistics pages:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/idd/rtstats/siteindex.php?atm.geo.nsf.gov

Before the outage, atm was supplying on the order of 80-100 downstream feed
connections.

>Also, what would be our source for the CONDUIT data?
>Would we get it from NCEP somehow, or from another relay?  Perhaps
>you could fill in some of these details.

As a top level relay, we would try to get you fed directly from NCEP.
Whether or not this would be possible remains to be seen.  atm has proven
to be the most reliable site for CONDUIT data even with its laser link
I2 connection.

>Our networking people are
>looking at the bandwidth requirements but it doesn't appear at this point
>that there would be a problem with providing 100 Mbps of service.

As a point of reference (I am _not_ trying to scare you off), the top
level relay we operate here at UCAR _averages_ about 120 Mbps of
outgoing traffic.  Its peak can be much higher, however, reaching
upwards to 260 Mbps.  atm does not/has not seen that kind of load yet.