20050213: met-62.oswego.edu off emo.unidata.ucar.edu (cont.)

>From: "Robert J. Ballentine" <address@hidden>

Hi Bob,

>I have finally been able to connect with met-62.oswego.edu.
>I changed our feed to atm.geo.nsf.gov and found that I was
>unable to get any products, so I switched to idd.unidata.edu.

Hmm... atm is up and feeding data to lots of downstream sites.  Your
inability to get data most likely indicates that your connection to atm
is routed through one of the NSF secondary Internet connections, not
Internet2.  They turned off LDM/IDD accesses through their Springlink
connection, but _supposedly_ not through their Qwest connection.
Apparently, all LDM/IDD connections not going through Interent2 have
been blocked.

We will need to assign you a new top level feed site.  This will not
happen until Monday or Tuesday, however.  There is no problem using
idd.unidata.ucar.edu since it is a system we are building to be able
to service every IDD feed request in the world (!) in the event that
access to other top level servers is not available.

>The idd feed seems to be working fine.  I'll check each day to
>see if I can get data from the nsf server.

Instead of switching your feed, try using the LDM 'notifyme' command:

<as 'ldm'>

notifyme -vxl- -f ANY -o 3600 -h atm.geo.nsf.gov

A successfull listing of data ingest on atm using 'notifyme' will
indicate that you will be able to get data through a ~ldm/etc/ldmd.conf
'request'.

If you are being denied access, the 'notifyme' invocation will let you
know indirectly (SVC_UNAVAILABLE or some such message).

>   Sorry again for not responding earlier to your request to
>get off emo.

No worries.  I'm happy that you are off now, thanks!