20050203: toplevel IDD relay atm.geo.nsf.gov once again accessible (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

Hi Tom,

re:
>>Please be advised that nothing has changed regarding the accessibiliity of
>>the ldm server on atm from our site (vortex.esc.brockport.edu)  since OZ
>>on Sunday when this problem arose.

Here is the situation:

All LDM connections on sprintlink to NSF have been disabled by the NSF
admins, and these will not return.  The reason for this is that the
bandwidth usage of the IDD exceeds the capacity of the NSF sprintlink
connection, so when atm drops off of Internet2, nobody at NSF can get
any work done.  As you might well imagine, this does not sit well with
NSF folks.  So, no IDD connections will be allowed through their backup
sprintlink connection.  LDM/IDD connections through I2, however, will
continue with no restriction.

Given this, please direct your data requests to idd.unidata.ucar.edu
until we can identify an eastcoast server to feed you.  I am thinking
that this will be Penn State, but I have not contacted Art Person
<address@hidden> (CCed on this message), the LDM/IDD contact at
PSU, about this yet.

I apologize for this inconvenience, but the alternative is us losing
our top level relay site at NSF/ATM.