20050131: [Fwd: Re: Late 1 degree GFS and late eta's on CONDUIT] (fwd)

>From:  Tiziana Cherubini <address@hidden>

Hi Tiziana,

>       how are you?

I am well, thank you.  I hope you are well also.

>I'm still in Hawaii and actually just came
>back from what was supposed to be a vacation: 2 weeks back home
>(Italy) over Christmas which becames a 5 weeks stay due to visa
>problems. I had to be double checked by the US security program
>because my name is the same that a ~50 years old italian red
>brigade terrorist who's currently in jail :) Isn't this a funny
>story?

Well, it is not really funny; it is kind of sad actually.  I hope that
your 5 weeks home was enjoyable :-).

>       Anyway, I'm writing you because of some problems we are
>experimenting with the LDM. I know you might not be the one to
>ask but I hoped you could explain me better what's going on or
>point me the right person to talk to.

OK.

>It looks like during January, 50% of the times, the 00Z and 12Z
>GFS data disseminated through LDM came in late (about 2hours
>later than the normal time). Late enough that we are having
>troubles starting timely our MM5 forecasts
>(we use GFS as initial conditions). As from the email below
>it looks like there have been changes to the dissemination
>procedures and they are working on it to fix the delay. I
>was just wondering whether people there at unidata have an
>idea on how long would it take before things get back to
>normal.

The major problem is that the machine that is doing the injection of
the CONDUIT data products is just too slow to handle the volume of data
that is now included in the stream.  What happens is that the data is
waiting a long to be injected into the LDM queue so users are not
getting the products as quickly as they would like/need.

As Steve Chiswell (Chiz) pointed out in the email he sent to the
CONDUIT users email list (and which you attached below), we tried a
different approach to injecting the data and were successful in
dramatically cutting down the time that it took for end users to
receive that data, but we received complaints from users whose use of
the data was based on the grib messages arriving in a fixed order.
Because of the complaints, we had to back of off the parallel insertion
test.  Chiz told me that someone at NCEP is working on a scheme to
serialize the data flow when using parallel queue insertion.  We will
have to wait to see if his effort will work or not.  The only other
thing that would help the effort out is for NCEP to install a faster
injection machine, but that is not likely to happen given the extremely
tight budget situation.

>We also tried using the NCEP ftp but it's way too slow...
>perhaps too many user trying to achieve data timely.

Exactly.  The NWS/NCEP is interested in seeing the LDM distribution
of the CONDUIT data work since it might help alleviate the bottleneck
that is created by lots of users FTPing the data at basically the
same time.

>Thank you very much for any information you could provide us.

I can assure you that we are thinking about how we can make the delivery
of the CONDUIT data faster, and will test/implement anything that makes
sense.  We have no control, however, on the speed of the injection
machine (sigh).

>Aloha,
>               Tiziana

> Tiziana Cherubini, Ph.D.             Department of Meteorology
> Research Meteorologist               University of Hawaii
> Mauna Kea Weather Center             2525 Correa Rd. HIG 367
> http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu           Honolulu, Hawaii 96822
>
> tel.: (808) 956-4593                 fax : (808) 956-2877

Ciao,