(Fwd) RE: Internet2 Connectivity of "Weather Machine"

FYI - potential network changes for atm this Sunday

--- Forwarded mail from "Roth, Quilla (IRM/DIS)" <address@hidden>

From: "Roth, Quilla (IRM/DIS)" <address@hidden>
To: "'Mike Schmidt'" <address@hidden>,
        "Jacobs, Clifford A." <address@hidden>
Cc: "Cypher, Stephen L." <address@hidden>
Subject: RE: Internet2 Connectivity of "Weather Machine"
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 14:43:07 -0500

Mike/Cliff,

Thanks for your very fast response and willingness to work with us on this.
The current plan is to try to block commodity Internet access only from
Sprint, so that if the laser is up, commodity Internet traffic can come in
thru Qwest.  We hope to implement this change during our maintenance period
this Sunday morning, 1/23/05, between midnight and 8am).   Steve Cypher, one
of my staff, is trying to catch up with Raleigh Romine (who has worked with
you on other "weather machine" issues in the past) to discuss the
implementation plan a bit more.  Last week Raleigh mentioned that we might
not be able effectively prevent Internet swamping by blocking at the router,
so I want to be sure we understand his thoughts before implementing a
pointless change.

Since I'm out Friday (and we're all out tomorrow, for Inauguration Day),
Steve will let you know if our plans change.   Also, Mike, should you need
to phone Steve, his number is 703-292-8147.

/Quilla

Quilla Roth
Branch Chief
National Science Foundation