20041220: IDD data requests from pp42 to atm.geo.nsf.gov

>From: "Yoshihiro Yamasaki" <address@hidden>

Yoshihiro,

We see that pp42 has requested a variety of IDD datastreams from
atm.geo.nsf.gov:

CONDUIT
HDS
IDS|DPLUS
NIMAGE

Until about a half hour ago, atm.geo.nsf.gov was only allowing pp42 requests
for the CONDUIT datastream.  Because of the large number of ldmd.log
messages we were seeing regarding denial of your requests, we changed the
datasets we are allowing you to feed to include all that you are currently
requesting.

A question and a couple of comment:

- do you really want/need the GOES images in the NIMAGE datastream?  Since
  the sectors available are positioned over the continental US, Puerto
  Rico, Alaska, and Hawaii, it seems to us that you would not benefit
  from ingesting them

- currently the network connection to atm.geo.nsf.gov is slow.  Apparently,
  at about 5:40 UTC on the 19th the network connection switched from
  Internet2 to commodity internet.  This unexpected change has driven
  latencies up for all feeds coming off of atm

- in looking at a time history of latency statistics being reported
  by pp42, it appears that its clock is not being set/set correctly.
  Can you verify that you are running ntpd (ntpdate or something
  equivalent) to set pp42's clock?  Thanks...

Cheers,

Tom Yoksas