20040908:IDD IDV data access

Hi Sean,

Great, glad to see Don has offerred up some training!

Once you have  downloaded the IDV, you have access to ADDE servers, via
that client (the IDV).

No worries re data access and legalities.

> My questions are as follows:
>
> 1.  How do I get access to data that the IDV can renderer?

Try adde.ucar.edu

for starters..there are many available.

Please see documentation at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/IDV/docs/userguide/index.html

> 2.  Can I store this data as local files and utilize them directly with
the IDV..

Some can, but most need the navigation meta-data from the ADDE server or
OPeNDAP server...we are working on this..

> 3.  Resources that I will need to get access?

Just the IDV...and a boatload of memory to run it!

> I thought the IDD was the right path, if I am incorrect please lead me
in the$

The IDD and the IDV are different animals...The IDD requires that you run
the LDM:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm/index.html

and is used in conjunction with our other display and analysis tools:

GEMPAK

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/index.html

and

McIDAS

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/mcidas/index.html

That is the beauty of the IDV..it utilizes pull technologies instead of
push, so you just grab the data you desire when you desire..and via ADDE
and OPeNDAP..format is not an issue..

Please let me know if I can help further..

Cheers,

Jeff