Re: 20040419:Level II Feeds

Hi Matt,

Comments in text:

Jeff

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004, matthew huber wrote:

> On Monday, April 19, 2004, at 03:24 PM, Jeff Weber wrote:
>
> > Hi Matt,
> >
> > We expect the 2nd tier sites to have I2 connections as our focus is the
> > .edu domain.
> >
>     I believe a number of potential meteorology colleges and
> universities do not have I2 connectivity (or it isn't
> very good).

Then they would not be candidates for a second tier connection.

> > Not sure what hardware you are speaking of that is (could be) delayed
> > by
> > this decision...
> >
> > The decision is based upon connectivity and reliability of
> > administration
> > as well as logical geographical considerations.

> depending on these reliability and connectivity concerns we will have
> to 'cache' differing amounts of
> data and at 80Mb/s that adds up pretty fast in terms of cost, also it
> has some impact on when we upgrade from
> 32bit to 64bit architectures for the server (for memory footprint
> reasons).

Most sites are running a 2Gb queue, with large file support we can
generate queues in the range of 10-20 GB's if needed.

32 bit architecture should be adequate for these needs.

Your archive needs may require additional disk space, but that is your
call.

> > Which network topology are you speaking of:
> >
> >> where in the network topology?
> >
> > The level II data distribution will have its own topology.
> >
> > Who do you desire to feed...?
> There are several topologies, I2, the level II data on top of that, and
> the ETF.  Ideally, we'd like at least some of our downstream peers to
> be on ETF, which may have some very nice performance attributes
> provided we can work to get the streaming data agreed upon by various
> national committees as a valid part of ETF.

Perhaps we are confusing the distribution of level II data to the arena of
grid computing..

Not quite sure...perhaps a phone call is desirable to clear up any
confusion.

PH:303-497-8676