20040325: High latency on Unidata circuit (cont.)

>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>

James, Larry, and Mike,

Previously I wrote:

>The latency seen on Larry's machine is a result of a network outage
>here at UCAR this morning (Larry feeds from thelma.ucar.edu).  Our
>network connection has been restored, but it appears like it might not
>be at our normal bandwidth.  We are investigating.

This turned to _not_ have been the problem.  thelma.ucar.edu was
at its capacity for feeding from upstream and to downstream sites
when the network outage occurred at UCAR this morning.  When
the network was brought back up, the load on thelma was just enough
to keep it from catching up on its ingest processes.  The latencies
that were being seen at all sites feeding from thelma was caused
not by thelma's inability to feed data to those sites, but, rather,
by thelma's inability to get input data in a timely manner. This
can be seen from thelma's IDD realtime latency plots for feeds
like IDS|DDPLUS, HDS, CONDUIT, etc:

IDS|DDPLUS
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?IDS|DDPLUS+thelma.ucar.edu

HDS
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?HDS+thelma.ucar.edu

CONDUIT
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_nc?CONDUIT+thelma.ucar.edu

The high latencies for the IDS|DDPLUS and HDS feeds are the most
demonstrative of the problem since the NOAAPORT ingestors for that data
are on the same UCAR Gb network.

Our solution was to offload all Unidata feeds from thelma except for
one machine, emo.unidata.ucar.edu.  As soon as we rerouted all Unidata
data requests from thelma to emo, thelma was able to rapidly catch up
on its ingest duties.  Since thelma was not adding any latencies to
the streams it was relaying, the latencies on all downstream machines
decreased in lock step with the decrease in ingest latency.

All-in-all, this was an interesting learning experience for us here
at the UPC!