20040322: weather data feed to Pearland Jr. High

>From: "Perna, Ryan" <address@hidden>

Ryan,

>Hi-I am a meteorologist teaching science at a Junior High, and I was
>wondering if there are any realistic options(financially) for receiving live
>weather data via the internet here.

This can be done if we can identify a Unidata university that is
willing to feed you the data, and if you have a suitable machine
(Unix/Linux) to receive the data, and you have the network bandwidth
needed to receive the data.  As far as cost goes, the data feed(s)
would be provided free-of-charge _if_ a university is willing to
sponsor you.  Sponsoring you means that the university is willing to
not only feed you the data, but also to assist you in receiving the
data and possibly its use.  The Unidata Program Center (UPC)
unfortunately does not have the resources to directly support high
schools in the use of our products or services.

>I am looking to set up a weather
>station at the school and would like to receive weather data as well.  Let
>me know if there are any options for me-thanks for your consideration!

Here are some questions that need answering:

- where is Pearland Jr. High (we need to find a Unidata university that
  is near and ask them if they are willing to sponsor you)

- what kinds of computers do you have in your lab (OS, RAM, disk, etc.)

- what kind of system administration expertise is available to manage
  the machine that would be fed realtime data

- what level of network connectivity do you have

- how conversant are you in the use of real time feeds of meteorological
  data

>Ryan Perna
>Science Teacher
>Pearland Jr. High South