20040105: Network connection for Nexrad data

>From: "Jy S. Wu" <address@hidden>

Jy,

>Upon conversatoins with Tim Crum and Linda Miller, It was suggested that I
>should initiate this official request to be the contact from the
>University of North Carolina at Charlotte, in order for me to receive
>Nexrad level II data, in real time mode, from several radar stations in
>our area.

To become the official contact at UNCC for Internet Data Distribution
(IDD) issues (like receiving various feeds using the Unidata LDM), you
should first register as a Unidata participant through our web portal,
my.unidata.ucar.edu.

>Mr. Crum informed me that instructions for data
>stream/structure will be availabe within the next two months or so.
>However, upon your approval of my registration as university member of
>Unidata, I would greatly appreciate your follow-up assistance for LDM and
>other applications.

We are ready to help you with the various packages that we support.
The form of our support is for you to read our web pages; decided which
package(s) you want; read the online material related to installing
them; and then, if necessary, ask us questions about what problems
you may have had or things that were not clear.

>We have currently completed an evaluation study of historic level II data
>for two North Carolina cities.  We hope to move on with real time data
>applications.

The Level II data will be flowing through the country very soon.  The
first thing you should investigate to get ready for a realtime feed
is the Unidata LDM web pages at:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/ldm

>Thanks.

Also, since you are new to Unidata, I want to take this opportunity to
welcome you to the community.

I also want to let you know that all email correspondence with Unidata
support are put into our inquiry tracking system, and all of those
transactions are available with no restrictions through the web.  If
you do not want transactions you have to be publically viewable, you
must let us know by including a statement to that effect on each email
you send.

Cheers,

>Jy
>Jy S. Wu, Ph.D, P.E., P.H.
>Professor and Graduate Director
>Department of Civil Engineering
>University of North Carolina at Charlotte
>Charlotte, NC 28223, USA
>704-687-4178   address@hidden

Tom Yoksas