20030905: LDM question

>From: Waldenio Almeida <address@hidden>

Hi Wandenio,

Emily forwarded your inquiry about the LDM, GEMPAK, McIDAS, and IDV
to Unidata User Support for reply.

>Thank you for your attention on our mistake in our application.
>Here at CPTEC/INPE (Brazil), we are very interested on LDM system, and
>also to learn about GEMPAK, McIDAS and IDV.

The workshops are a perfect venue for doing this.

>In Brazil, there are many
>universities and institutes that exchange meteorological data over
>internet, but they do it with ftp and shell scripts. A system like LDM
>can be a great improvement.

I am working with David Garrana Coelho <address@hidden> at the
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro to establish a top level IDD
relay node initially for Brazil and Argentina, and then for the
rest of South America.  We have named this project IDD-Brazil in the
hopes that it will grow into an internet data disribution system
that extends our own system here in the US.  Do you know David?
I have CCed him on this email exchange.

>Even our organization (CPTEC) have 300
>meteorological automatic data colleting stations whose data are not
>distributed over GTS. May it be done with LDM ?.

Yes, absolutely.  The LDM is a wonderful tool for fanning out unique
data holdings at user sites to the greater research and educational
community.

>I have seen that LDM is
>available to region 4. Can it be on region 3 too ? (South America).

Yes.  As I mentioned previously, David and I have been working towards
the establishment of the top level IDD relay node at UFRJ which has a
good Internet-2 connection provided by RNP.  The LDM has also been
installed and operated at the Universidade Federal do Para.  They have
been inactive over the summer months, but they are intending to once
again start receiving data this fall.  While they once received data
directly from our program here in Boulder, Colorado, they will next
receive it from UFRJ.

I am very interested in seeing how many Brazilian universities would
be interested in getting observational and satellite imagery data
delivered in near realtime over the incipient IDD-Brazil.  Do you
have any insight into this?

>Best regards,
>Waldenio Gambi
>Pre-Processing Team