20030402: higher temporal resolution of GOES

Mike,

The UNIWISC (aka MCIDAS) data stream of unremapped imagery
is hourly products as you know.

We do have satellite images from the NOAAPORT channels 1 and 2
that are nominally at 15 minute temporal resolution, and 7.5 minute
resolution in rapid scan mode. These are the GINI format images
(GEMPAK and McIDAS can both display these) that have been remapped
for the NWS AWIPS displays (eg, you are losing some information
in the image....but still fine for wallpaper displays).

We send these in PNG format and have a decoder in the ldm-mcidas.tar.Z
distribution called pngg2gini to uncompress these to standard GINI format
(or GEMPAK can display these directly from the compressed form).

This is a substantially larger feed of data. A 1 km visible
(every 15 minutes) for GOES-EAST as an example uncompresses
to 26MB. Another alternative, if you are running McIDAS
is to point to one of the ADDE servers that contains the data.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

Steve Chiswell

Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support