20020607: Thelma Sick?

>From: Larry Riddle <address@hidden>

Larry,

>Anybody know if thelma is unwell?

Thelma is OK.  What is going on is related to network upgrades that
are happening in NCAR/UCAR.  Here is Mike Schmidt's comment related
to your problem connecting to thelma:

  Larry's first disconnection was a result of the ongoing Juniper upgrade
  project, and maybe the second disconnection event was too.  I have
  email in to David for his comment.  We may want to announce the UCAR
  juniper project(s) to the community since we've had so many minor
  outages as a result of various problems;

  http://www.scd.ucar.edu/nets/projects/FRGPJuniper/

I have been holding off on notifying the community about the Juniper
project since the outages are intermittant, and usually short lived.
The other thing working in our favor right at the moment is that most
sites semesters are over, so there are less numbers of people depending
on the IDD feeds. This will change as summer sessions startup.

>If I connect to it, thelma disconnects
>me.  I've failed over to motherlode (where I'm not supposed to go), but I'm
>getting ready to go to bed and don't feel like staying up to reconnect to
>thelma time after time.

Don't worry about being connected to motherlode instead of thelma right
now.  I am a little confused about your comment about having to stay up
to try and connect to thelma time after time.  Your LDM should do that
for you every 30 seconds or so.  Am I missing something obvious here?
Perhaps your LDM is exiting since it is trying to get all of its feeds
from one upstream host, and that host is refusing to feed?

Tom

>From address@hidden Fri Jun  7 07:41:35 2002
>Subject: Re: 20020607: Thelma Sick?

re: me being a little confused about you having to manually restart your LDM

All I can report is what I think I observed.

Thelma disconnected twice.  On both occasions, after waiting about 30
minutes, I still got no data.  On the other hand, if I bounced the ldm
(stopped and restarted) the ldm, data would flow immediately.

Caveat: That's what I think I saw, not necessarily what really
occurred.  It was late here and it was the end of a long day.

Larry

>From address@hidden Fri Jun  7 11:03:23 2002
>To: Anne Wilson <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>From: Larry Riddle <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20020607: comment from Larry Riddle regarding LDM
>  connections
>Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden,
>   Larry Riddle <address@hidden>

>At 4:36 the ldm was restarted.  It ran normally and was getting products
>until 4:40 when there was what appears to be a normal shutdown.  At 4:42
>it was restarted again.  I assume this was one of Larry's "bounces",
>Larry, is that right?  If so, what caused you to do the restart?

I think (remember my caveat) that, in this instance, I did a "ldmadmin
watch" and got a few minutes of absolutely nothing happening on the
screen.  I made one of my not-always-logical assumptions and bounced the
ldm.  However, as soon as the ldm restarted, data started flowing.

Coincidence?  Hostile deities?  Planets not in proper alignment?  There are
some things mere mortals are never supposed to know.

Larry