20020523: Test LDM Server at Lyndon State College (cont.)

>From: "Steven E. McKee" <address@hidden>

Steven,

>Thanks for you quick response, I have tried the "notifyme -vxl- -f ANY -h
>atm.geo.nsf.gov" command and it appears to work quite well - Thanks.

No worries.

>should at most need this feed for 2 weeks, three at most - then we will no
>longer need our feed to cirrus.lsc.vsc.edu (155.42.21.3) as
>foxfire.lsc.vsc.edu will be our primary LDM Server.

After your test period, we will want you to switch the feed to foxfire
to the machine that is currently feeding cirrus.  You should email the
contact at that site with your machine information (name and IP) just
before you are ready to make that switch.  Before doing this, however,
you should verify that DNS services are in place for foxfire so that
the feed site does not have to hack his/her /etc/hosts file to make
things work for you.

>Once again Thanks.

>From address@hidden Tue Jun 25 14:22:21 2002
>To: "Steven E. McKee" <address@hidden>
>cc: <address@hidden>,
>   Bruce Berryman <address@hidden>,
>   Nolan Atkins <address@hidden>,
>   Pamela Grube <address@hidden>, <address@hidden>,
>   William Fingerhut <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: Cirrus.lsc.vsc.edu feed to foxfire.lsc.vsc.edu

Hi Steven,

We added foxfire to our ALLOW lists on 6/17.  I am seeing DENY messages in
our logs, though, for foxfire's IP number:

Jun 25 19:02:33 redwood rpc.ldmd[9953]: Denying connection from
155.42.21.12

It looks like foxfire may not have its reverse name lookup set in DNS:
forward lookup works fine:

nslookup foxfire.lsc.vsc.edu
Server:  redwood.atmos.albany.edu
Address:  169.226.43.37

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    foxfire.lsc.vsc.edu
Address:  155.42.21.12

But reverse is not working:

nslookup 155.42.21.12
Server:  redwood.atmos.albany.edu
Address:  169.226.43.37

*** redwood.atmos.albany.edu can't find 155.42.21.12: Non-existent
host/domain

I think once this entry is added to your DNS and propagates, you will be
able to feed from us.  We prefer to allow only fully-qualified machine
names rather than IP numbers in our ldmd.conf.

Regards,

Kevin

Kevin Tyle, Systems Administrator               **********************
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences           address@hidden
University at Albany, ES-235                    518-442-4571 (voice)
1400 Washington Avenue                          518-442-5825 (fax)
Albany, NY 12222                                **********************