20020424: network connectivity to rr.com

>From: "Kevin Polston" <address@hidden>

Kevin,

>Sorry I couldn't reply sooner. I am in the middle of teaching a class
>this week so I am a little busy.

Aren't we all.

>I believe somehow the queue was messed up. Your suggestion seemed to fix
>it and I haven't had a problem with ldm going down since then. I am
>still experiencing network congestion (it must be) since the satellite
>data still is sporadic at times....even on the atm.geo.nsf.gov site. Did
>the UNL guy know what was causing the congestion on papagayo?

He thinks the UNL congestion is caused by campus use: sharing PowerPoint
over the web; MP3 traffic; etc.

>If I wanted to download McIdas and give it a try what would I need to
>do?  I mean obviously I would need to install the software but what else
>would I need to do?  Anything?  And speaking of installing the software
>how and where do I get it? I've been thinking about this for a while now
>and would like to give McIdas a try.
>
>Got to go to class.....I will talk to you later.

Please respond to my last question in our previous email exchange:

Also, can you provide an explaination why your machine's address is a
".com" (mkc-65-30-96-123.kc.rr.com) and not a ".gov"?  I did a lookup
on rr.com and find that it is an enterprise that typically sevices the
residental market through cable modems:

http://www.rr.com/rdrun/

"Road Runner is... a high speed, online service that provides
lightening-fast access to the Internet as well as to unique broadband
content and services. Road Runner is delivered to your computer over
the same upgraded cable systems that currently bring cable television
into your home. Cutting-edge technology advancements, implemented over
comprehensive regional and national networks get you to your Internet
destinations in seconds. "

Tom