20020315: thelma feed disconnecting

>From: "Neil R. Smith" <address@hidden>

Neil,

>Our primary feed, thelma, is accepting, then disconnecting to our
>ldm on coriolis.met.tamu.edu:
>
>coriolis{ldm}2% notifyme -v -l - -f ANY -h thelma.unidata.ucar.edu
>Mar 16 01:25:55 notifyme[82948]: Starting Up: thelma.unidata.ucar.edu:
>20020316012555.198 TS_ENDT {{ANY,  ".*"}}
>Mar 16 01:25:55 notifyme[82948]: NOTIFYME(thelma.unidata.ucar.edu):
>reclass: 20020316012555.198 TS_ENDT
>{{EXP|SEISMIC|GPS|FAA604|DIFAX|NLDN|NMC|FSL|UNIDATA|0xbff00000,  ".*"}}
>Mar 16 01:25:55 notifyme[82948]: NOTIFYME(thelma.unidata.ucar.edu): OK
>Mar 16 01:25:56 notifyme[82948]: Connection reset by peer
>Mar 16 01:25:56 notifyme[82948]: Disconnect
>
>The log shows continuous reset and disconnect mssgs and we can't
>get any data from thelma.
>
>Any ideas? Will failover to pluto.

We have been having hardware problems on both thelma and motherlode
lately.  We are hopefully over the hump with motherlode, but we
are not so hopeful about thelma.  We have ordered a new Sun Solaris
machine to replace thelma, but it should not be here for two weeks.

On top of that, Anne tried to send out a notification to sites
using thelma yesterday, but there is something in the message
that is causing it to bounce!  When it rains, it pours!!

Here is the body of the message that Anne tried to send out yesterday
afternoon:

  >From: Anne Wilson <address@hidden>

  IDD participants,

  For sites feeding from thelma, thelma has become too unstable to be
  reliable.  A replacement for thelma has been ordered and is expected to
  be in place in approximately two weeks.

  In the meantime, with the disk replacement that occurred yesterday, we
  are expecting motherlode be in good shape.  So, we are now requesting
  sites that are currently feeding from thelma to switch over to
  motherlode.  This includes sites receiving the CONDUIT feed.

  (motherlode will be shut down for approximately 20 minutes next Tuesday
  morning for scheduled maintenence.  This should not interfere with your
  data reception.)

  Sites feeding from shemp should continue to feed from shemp.

  When thelma is replaced we will ask sites feeding from both motherlode
  and shemp to move back to thelma, which will be our main relay machine.

  I apologize yet again for the difficulties this has caused.  It's been a
  bad hardware period for us.  As usual, please direct any concerns or
  questions to address@hidden.

  Anne
  address@hidden                  P.O. Box 3000
                                    Boulder, CO  80307