20020116: NEXRAD data lantency (cont.)

>From: Celia Chen <address@hidden>

Celia,

>I just realized that the NEXRAD feed to our ldm server ofour was from thelma,
>which has over one hour of delay this morning.

OK, now I understand why there is a big delay.  The current thelma is
a real old SGI box that is short of all imaginable resources.  This
box will be getting replaced with a fast Solaris x86 box when we get
back from the AMS show.

>I tried to get the feed from
>motherlode without success.  But I was able to get the feed indirectly from
>noaaport.unidata.ucar.edu, which provides a close to real time feed at the
>moment.

noaaport.unidata.ucar.edu  is the ingest box for NOAAPORT channel 3.
The feed from it will always be as close to realtime as is possible.
We will be asking you to move off of noaaport.unidata after we get the
new thelma installed up in the NCAR main machine room.  We do not want
a number of machines feeding off the primary ingesters.

>I will keep an eye on the feed and let you know
>if we contunue to have this lentency problem.
>
>Thanks.
>Celia

Tom

>From address@hidden Wed Jan 16 12:51:26 2002

Tom,

I configured the LDM on iita to receive NEXRAD feed from noaaport then feed
ofour from iita.  iita is fed by noaaport.unidata.ucar.edu as it is an
UCAR LDM server.  Our users need reliable nids data for the realtime
systems we have here at RAP.  It would be nice to have a backup nids
feed when thelma is replaced with a faster machine.

Thanks for your help. Enjoy the good weather down there!!

Celia