RE: Missing WSI radar products (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:17:21 -0400
From: "Pirone, Maria" <address@hidden>
To: "'address@hidden'" <address@hidden>, "Pirone, Maria" <address@hidden>,
     Robb Kambic <address@hidden>,
     david ahijevych <address@hidden>, address@hidden
Subject: RE: Missing WSI radar products

Richard-

Unfortunately the time periods you specified coincide with the times that
the product was not available.  There have been a series of problems at the
NWS Silver Spring facility, where the radar server resides, that has
impacted the availability of the raw radar data for our mosaic.  These
problems are beyond WSI's control and we have discussed the
avialability/reliability issues at length with the NWS.  We hope to see some
improvement in their infrastructure to prevent these lengthy outages from
happening in the future.

I understand the criticality of the product to the researchers--we also have
real-time users who are dependent on it and are having a difficult time
understanding how this could happen.  We appreciate your patience while this
is resolved---our aim is to have all products available in real-time!

For future reference, we do archive the mosaic, however, after 72 hours
there is no "easy" way to get to it.  If you notify us within 72 hours we
may be able to FTP it to you.  However, this is not our normal procedure and
if it happens frequently, we would have to charge T&M to recover the data
for you.

Hopefully this problem is only temporary and we can expect to see better
performance from our public partners.

Regards-
Maria