20010418: pqact.conf to put METAR obs in separate file for each state]

Christian,

When you say "states", I'm assuming you mean US now.
US METAR bulletins are most commonly sent as collections of bulletins, and not
individually separate by state or region.

In general, the primary divisions of US METAR bulletins are:
S(A|P)US80 KWBC  -- NWS collectives
S(A|P)US70 KWBC  -- FAA collectives

However, you will find that individial WFO's do provide their own collectives
using the pattern:
S(A|P)US4x CCCC
where the x provides a number representing a region of distribution, eg
0 = hawaii, 1 = NE US, 2 = SE US, etc.
The CCCC identifier is the WFO issuing office, eg KALY for Albany.
So, you could file these METAR bulletins into region or office specific files.
Note that these reports are not necessarily as complete as the S(A|P)US[78]0
bulletins.

As an alternative, since you are decoding the data into GEMPAK, you can list
out the RAW reports by state in SFLIST by using:
area=@st
sfparm=TEXT;SPCL

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support